Wednesday 17 September 2014

A tale of mismatched foundation, with a happy ending

That sad moment when you run out of your favourite foundation, the loss of a trusty faithful friend of my face. I finished the wonderful luminous silk foundation by Giorgio Armani and trotted off to town to purchase a replacement.

Lured I was, lured, by the YSL counter in Debenhams. Before I knew it I was being matched up to the Touche Eclat foundation, I tried it when it first launched and I thought "heck let's try it again". Biiiiiig mistake!

The YSL make up artist clearly was not capable of colour matching foundation. I am as pale as you get really. There are no blue tones but I am pale. I was alarmed when she took the 3 prospective colours from the middle of the colour range.... I guided her, explained there was pigmentation in my chin, I wanted a base to match the rest of my skin blah blah blah. I wanted to avert a foundation crisis. Well, it was a fail. I left that counter with a YSL consultation card telling me I was a B20, reassured this was definitely the right colour for me, and that if I wanted to compare to my old shade then I was welcome to but B20 was the right one. 

I looked in the mirror. I was yellow. I looked like Marge Simpson. Ridiculous. 


I said I thought the colour was too yellow, her response "this is a neutral shade, it definitely isn't yellow", well, I'm sorry but I think you'll find it is yellow! My eyes don't lie. They don't yet anyway...

I met my husband who did nothing but laugh as we strolled up the street to my saviour, Harvey Nichols. That 'short' walk never felt so long. Greeted by a wonderful professional make up artist on the Giorgio Armani counter I explained how I ended up a Simpson (I wanted her to know I didn't do this to myself!). After a LOT of make up cleanser I was back to me, and she kindly reapplied my foundation. It was a perfect match. Hurrah to Harvey Nichols wonderful make up lady, hurrah to Giorgio Armani Ivory foundation.



Normality resumed, I was a new woman! 

I wondered, have you had any public make up horrors? How did you handle them?!

No comments:

Post a Comment